Northwest Medical Specialties’ Clinical Research Department has over 20 years of experience producing fast, quality results for research sponsors.
NWMS has successfully launched an initiative to expand and maximize the benefits that clinical trials can bring to its patients, and practice. Previously, access to this level of cancer research was not available in the South Puget Sound community. Patients would have to travel or move with their families; disrupting their lifestyle during a most critical time. Our goal is to continuously support and sustain cancer research by expanding access to clinical trials in our community.
The NWMS clinical research initiative is built upon promoting ethical cancer clinical trials, and a commitment to maintain speed and quality through the infrastructure that is required to conduct high performance research. NWMS actively participates in a wide variety of cancer research available through:
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Phase I, II, III
- Expanded Access/Compassionate use
- The National Cancer Institute’s Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP)
- The Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG)
- Puget Sound Oncology Consortium (PSOC)
- Collaborative studies in partnership with local Academic Medical Centers
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC)
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA)
- University of Washington (UW)
In addition, we have been successful in developing a dedicated community based Phase I drug development program.We now have the ability to move agents from the laboratory to the patient in the safest, most expedient manner; allowing the patient to have access to cutting-edge treatment close to home! It is extremely rare for community clinics to manage Phase I trials, however, we believe our success at NWMS demonstrates Phase I studies are a viable option for well-managed community based research programs.
NWMS’ Department of Clinical Research provides a fast, quality research program in a community-based practice with high quality audit reports and investigators in good standing.
Our large patient base and on-site clinical services promote our ability to meet and/or exceed clinical research enrollment and produce quality data in a timely manner. Clinical Research services include:
- Capacity to access central Institutional Review Boards (IRBs)
- Experienced investigators and certified research staff
- Rapid contract review and approval process ( 2 weeks or less)
- Dedicated admixture staff to manage investigational drugs
- Comprehensive on-site laboratory services
- Large outpatient infusion centers
- Complete standard operating guidance policies
- Study management software
- Established research network
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
Additional infrastructure includes
- On site -70°C freezer for lab samples
- -70°C and -20°C freezer for investigational drugs
Our research interests include Phase I, II and III clinical trials encompassing:
- All major Hematology-Oncology indications
- Phase I studies
- Oncology supportive therapies, such as chemotherapy induced nausea, cancer pain and neutropenia.
The physicians at NWMS are among the premier caregivers in their respective fields. Our physicians have lectured extensively in this country and abroad, representing their specialties on numerous boards and committees and promoting the advancement of medicine through clinical research and frequent experience. Physician biographies and Curriculum Vitae are available upon request.
Consistently being numbered among top enrolling research sites, NWMS has participated in multiple sponsor audits. All audit results were exemplary and all physicians are in good standing with the FDA, cooperative groups, Academic Medical Centers and industry sponsors. Sponsor references are available upon request.