To help you prepare for a visit to a Northwest Medical Specialties clinic, we put together the following tips:
- Bring your insurance card to every appointment, and immediately notify your physician’s office of any changes in your insurance. Co-payments are collected at time of service.
- It is extremely important that you track all medications you take at home.
- Bring a list of all medicines you take at home to every appointment. The medication list should include all medicines prescribed from all physicians, medicines that you have purchased without a prescription, and any vitamins, herbs or supplements you are currently taking. If you do not have a list, please bring every bottle of medicine you take so the staff can include this information in your chart.
We want to make your visit with us as comfortable as possible, so please let us know if we can do anything else to make you more comfortable during your visit.
Tips for a Great Visit at NWMS Clinics
- In consideration of all patients in the clinic, set your cell phones to the silence or vibrate mode.
- We encourage you to bring friends or family members with you to doctor’s appointments.
- Due to health and safety reasons, pets (except for certified guide dogs) are not allowed in the clinic area.
- If you require home oxygen, be certain you have an adequate amount of oxygen to last for the duration of your visit. Be sure that your tank is full and that you have a spare tank available to use if needed.
- Our clinic requires a 48-hour notice for all prescription refill requests. We also now offer patients in-office dispensing on selected medications. Ask your doctor if you can utilize this time-saving service.
Tips for Infusion Suite Appointments
- Children under the age of 12 years old are not permitted in the infusion suite.
- If you have or are going to have a port placed, we will ask that you continue to have your blood drawn via a vein in your arm. This will allow for greater port longevity as well as decrease infection risks. The port will need to be flushed every 4 – 6 weeks.
- You are allowed one guest during infusion appointments.
- For your comfort during your visit in the infusion suite, you are welcome to bring a blanket, pillow, and your favorite snack.
- You are welcome to bring games, a laptop computer, music player with headphones, and book to pass the time!
Tips for your office visit
- Be honest and complete in talking with your doctor
- Make sure to share your thought and point of view
- Don’t be afraid to discuss issues such as incontinence, memory loss, or intimacy
- Take notes during your appointment
- Ask questions about your treatment plan, diagnosis, or medication instructions
- Ask what to expect from your treatment and how to manage or prevent ill side effects
- Ask for handouts or brochures that you and your family can review at home
For more information on how to prepare for your appointment or to schedule an appointment, contact us at 253-428-8700.